March 26, 2014

Quarry Hill


With more snow in Hanover than I have seen in three years, I couldn’t resist skiing places that never have enough coverage. The first spot to tackle was the thick trees of a bike trail on Oak Hill that is a killer uphill in the summer. Getting to ski it was more challenging than I thought it would be as I ducked branches, thickets and threw in really quick hop turns. But it was the first of the series of quirky ski runs that I tackled throughout the week. Among them was the ‘Commando Route’ path from my house to school through a ravine, the meadow in front of the medical school (mostly for the poor chaps looking out the window), the trail to the Connecticut River from school (another thicket adventure), and a night meadow poach in a Vermont family’s backyard. Finally with an impending rain storm coming, I convinced Hannah and Chris to come do some survival skiing on a mountain called Quarry Hill. Through the center of the mountain there is the old, steep quarry road, framed by a lot of granite. We skied down the skinny trail jumping over jutting granite blocks and small pines. Not Steamboat pow, but an adventure nonetheless!


No comments:

Post a Comment