May 16, 2012

Bushcraft p4

For one of my P.E. credits at school, I decide to take bushcraft and wilderness skills. The class turned out to be a super adventure filled weekend.

Do you want to know what the funniest part of last night was? I lost my watch right away. I didn't mean to. When people go on outdoor trips they always say that the best part is not knowing what time it is, but I don't think like that. I would rather just know the time. So, of course, I loose my watch. That was at 11:30 PM when we first started the fire. After what felt like either a really short while or a really long while, I reached under my burning leg (I practically slept in the fire), and voila! My watch. Peter and I looked at each other and stopped. We couldn't decide - to check or not to check. If it had been an hour, would we have the heart to go on? Finally, I just bit the bullet and looked. It was 5:50! We lasted the whole night in a structure mainly made of leaves!

After the exciting night living like cavemen, we headed back to camp and practiced making embers with a bow and drill. In New England, cedar is the best bet for a bow and drill, and I was able to get an ember pretty quickly. After lasting past lunch, I finally crashed and missed the rest of the afternoon napping... Maybe I should live like a caveman more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment